Ah, Italy… one of the most romantic destinations in all the world, home to some of the finest wines, exceptional seafood, exquisite pasta, and… chickens? Believe it or not, of all the chicken breeds over the world, there are probably fewer chickens more iconic than this breed from Italy. I mean, when we think of a chicken, what color do we first think of? How about the comb and wattle? Beak and legs? Maybe I am too much a product of Looney Tunes cartoons, but my answers are a direct result of their character: Foghorn Leghorn. As a result, this author’s answers are white, red, and yellow. Yup, that’s a Leghorn Chicken through and through! While not all Leghorns are white, the breed does originate in Tuscany, Italy, and have since been spread out so far across the world, that these amazing white egg layers are for many the archetype of the chicken world. If you’re feeling that your home could use some Italian spice, then perhaps a Leghorn is just the bird to add to your family! Below is a list of ten excellent hatcheries that you can reach out to.
1. Meyer Hatchery (https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=WTLS)
Average Straight-Run Leghorn Chicken Price: $3.04
Meyer Hatchery is based in Polk, Ohio, and boasts itself as the “premier Poultry Source.” Priding itself on customer service and availability, Meyer Hatchery provides a variety of chicken breeds to meet customer demands for color and diversity. They welcome mixing and matching of breeds of the same poultry type to meet minimum order requirement for safe shipping. To help with orders, they have a calendar of hatchings.
Meyer has a variety of means of communication, including multiple phone numbers, fax, and email. They also run a blog that covers everything from breeds to plant pairing with chickens, feed, cooking recipes, fowl entertainment, and survival tips.
We have linked the page to the White Leghorn Chickens above, but Meyer offers a variety of Leghorn, including Light Brown Leghorns and Exchequer Leghorns,
- Significant discounts if buying male chickens.
- Accepts checks and credit cards.
- Guarantees gender of chicks either through refund or store credit.
- Optional vaccination.
- Member of the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP), and provide NPIP VS Form 9-3 free of charge.
- Offer orders of over 100 chicks.
- Limited store hours that change with the season.
2. Murray McMurray Hatchery (https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pearl_white_leghorn.html)
Average Straight-Run Leghorn Chicken Price: $3.33
Murray McMurray started his chicken business in 1917. As a banker, he sold his chicks to locals through the bank and by 1919, he had developed his own stock of chickens. During the Great Depression, he devoted himself to chickens full time. Since then, Murray McMurray Hatchery has developed into one of the largest chick hatcheries in the country. They sell more than just chickens, with ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys, other fowl and game birds all in the catalogue.
Sexed male chicks tend to be the cheapest, meaning you can get some serious savings if you’re planning on raising these birds primarily for meat. You can also buy pullets or mix and match your order with chicks of other breeds, too.
We have linked the Pearl-White Leghorn Chicken above, but they also offer a variety of Leghorns, including: Silver, Rose Comb Brown, Red, and Single Comb Brown.
- Males are extremely inexpensive.
- Bulk discounts available.
- Excellent breed availability.
- Minimum order of six birds at a time.
3. Cackle Hatchery (https://www.cacklehatchery.com/white-leghorn.html)
Average Straight-Run Leghorn Chicken Price: $ $2.85
Cackle Hatchery proudly boasts that they have been hatching and shipping since 1936. A third-generation hatchery based in Missouri, their mission is to provide customers with quality poultry for showing, meat, enjoyment, and eggs. They ship throughout the USA, including Alaska, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii. They offer nearly 200 different types of chickens at all stages.
Cackle also offers many other kinds of poultry including ducks, water fowl, game birds, turkeys, and other fowl. They are also a good source for supplies and book.
The link above brings you to the White Leghorn Chicken sales page. This hatchery also offers Brown Leghorns and Isabella Leghorns.
- Discounts if you buy male chicks.
- Vaccinations available.
- Only need 3 birds to ship (or just one for male birds).
- Limited availability.
- Sold as baby chicks only.
4. Purely Poultry (https://www.purelypoultry.com/white-leghorn-chickens-p-467.html)
Average Straight-Run White Leghorn Chicken Price: $3.62
As a family-owned business, Purely Poultry has some of the best customer service around. They pride themselves on their knowledge of their products, selection, and how-to details related to everything they offer, including ducks, chickens, geese, and lots of other birds!
Located in Durand, WI, they guarantee live birds with every order, which is a good promise, indeed!
The link above will take you to the White Leghorn Chicken page but they also offer Light Brown Leghorns, White Leghorn Bantams, and Exchequer Leghorns.
- Each order backed by live arrival guarantee.
- Small order minimum on chicks.
- Other kinds of poultry offered, too.
- Not a huge advantage to buying multiple chicks – discounts are minimal.
5. Hoover’s Hatchery (https://hoovershatchery.com/WhiteLeghorn.html)
Average Straight-Run White Leghorn Chicken Price: $3.21
Another established brand if you’re looking for chicks is Hoover’s Hatchery. Hoover’s supplies many farm and garden supply stores in the United States with their chicks, making them a smart choice if you want to skip the middleman and order from the hatchery directly.
Plus, Hoover’s offers free shipping on practically everything you order. You’ll have to buy at least 15 chicks; so Hoover’s might not be the best option if you live in a city with chicken restrictions. However, as long as you’re willing to buy in bulk, it’s a smart choice. You can even mix and match your order by adding other birds of other chicken breeds along with poultry species like pheasants, turkeys, guineas, ducks, and more.
Another benefit of ordering from Hoover’s Hatchery? Despite the fact that this hatchery is located in Iowa, not necessarily a warm-weather state, it hatches chicks all throughout the year – a must-know feature if you plan on buying chicks around Christmastime.
The link above will take you to the White Leghorn sales page. This hatchery also offers Brown Leghorns and California White Leghorns,
- Excellent guarantee and refund policy in case of shipping problems.
- Hatches chicks during the winter, one of the few hatcheries to do so.
- Sells other kinds of poultry too.
- Large minimum order of 15 chicks or 20 bantams.
6. Townline Poultry Farm (https://townlinehatchery.com/product/white-leghorn/)
Average Straight-Run White Leghorn Chicken Price: $4.05
Townline Hatchery, out of Zeeland, MI, prides itself on its hands-on approach that its entire experienced staff observes. In fact, they have an entire series of how to raise birds! Their FAQ section is already quite comprehensive, and they encourage customers to contact them with any questions not already covered. They provide customers with 26 different breed of bird.
The only disadvantage to ordering from Townline is that you’ll have to buy in bulk. The hatchery has a minimum order of fifteen chicks, which can be a challenge if you live in a city that has restrictions on how many birds you can raise (most towns cap it at six hens). However, if you’re planning on shopping for a large flock anyway, Townline is the way to go – the hatchery offers a discount of several dollars per bird when you buy more than 100 chicks.
- Superior customer service.
- Excellent reputation as one of the longest-standing hatcheries.
- Great for buying chicks in large quantities.
- Not many hatching dates available for fall, winter, or early spring shipping.
- Comparatively expensive.
7. My Pet Chicken (https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chicks/White-Leghorn-p227.aspx)
Average Straight-Run White Leghorn Chicken Price: $3.05
My Pet Chicken got started in 2005 by Traci Torres and her husband, Derek Sasaki, two novices to the chicken world who had a dream to help other novices in their farmers’ goals. To do this, the put free how-to information on the web and offered some unique products and services.
The website launched in 2005 and in 2006, their flock had grown to the point to where they started offering chicks for sale from their headquarters in Monroe, CT. The site has been mentioned in another of publications, and serves tens of millions of page views per year.
The link above will take you to the White Leghorn page, but this site also offers Light Brown Leghorns and Exchequer Leghorns.
- Offers Marek’s vaccinations on all standard chicks at the click of a button.
- Consistent hours of operation.
- A good source for questions about ordering chickens, chicken care, and about raising chickens.
- Full refund for any bird that has been incorrectly sexed.
- Limited availability.
- Does not have a storefront.
8. Stromberg’s Chickens (https://www.strombergschickens.com/product/white-lehorn-chicks)
Average Straight-Run White Leghorn Chicken Price: $3.99
Stromberg’s Chicks and Game Birds Unlimited has quite the name! It is appropriate, because they have a selection of birds to match the ambition of their name, with over 200 breeds available to their customers. This impressive family business got its start when Ernest and Josephine Stromberg brought 100 White Leghorn chicks to supplement the family income. Whatever they did must have worked wonders, because 99 years later (as of 2020), they are still going strong! In addition to livestock, Stromberg’s Publishing Company offers a number of books on poultry, poultry-related subjects, and myriad educational bulletins, all of which help make Stromberg’s an excellent source of all your fowl needs.
The first farm was located in Doge, Iowa, but have since moved their headquarters to Hackensack, Minnesota. Including Hackensack, they ship from all locations: Woodland, CA; Wilkes-Barre, PA; Marshall, TX; Winter Haven, FL, and Clarkson, KY.
The above link will take you to their White Leghorn sales page, but they also offer Brown Leghorns and Silver Leghorns,
- 13% discount offered on orders of 30 or more!
- Free shipping on orders of $100 or more.
- Chicks are shipped immediately upon hatching.
- Minimum orders of 5 chicks.
- Alaska residents suffer additional shipping costs and no live bird guarantee on orders shipped there.
9. The Chick Hatchery (https://thechickhatchery.com/home/brown-leghorn/)
Average Straight-Run Brown Leghorn Chicken Price: $2.85
The Chick hatchery is Michigan’s “premier source for superior quality poultry.” With a creed that revolves around the sharing and joy of raising chickens, they operate in no-kill facilities. They raise their chickens humanely, with any unsold chicks going to Amish farms. Much of the experience of raising chickens is the awareness of the individual chicken and the relationship between food and our own health.
The link above will take you to the Brown Leghorn sales page, but this hatchery also offers White Leghorns.
- Ships a minimum of 3 of each sex.
- All poultry guaranteed live delivery.
- Offers discounts on orders of larger quantities of birds.
- Limited availability – February to September.
- Does not ship to Hawaii or outside the USA.
10. Welp Hatchery (https://www.welphatchery.com/layer-type-chicks/leghorn-white-female/)
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Chicken Price: $3.20
Located in Bancroft, IA, Welp Hatchery was founded way back in 1929 by Joseph H. Welp. While their specialty is Cornish Rock Broilers, they have diversified to include a wide range of chicken breeds. To simplify their orders, they have a catalogue available for viewing or downloading (hyperlink “catalog” to https://www.welphatchery.com/uploads/WELPCATALOG2020_2020-01-27_13-51-43.html). From their shipping points in Iowa, New Mexico, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, this hatchery truly has a wide reach. They offer the White, Silver, Single Comb Brown Leghorn varieties.
- Can choose the breeding date on the product page.
- Marek’s immunization is a one-click process.
- Minimum orders of 5.
- Wintertime availability for select breeds.
- Maximum orders of 25.
Maat van Uitert is a backyard chicken and sustainable living expert. She is also the author of Chickens: Naturally Raising A Sustainable Flock, which was a best seller in it’s Amazon category. Maat has been featured on NBC, CBS, AOL Finance, Community Chickens, the Huffington Post, Chickens magazine, Backyard Poultry, and Countryside Magazine. She lives on her farm in Southeast Missouri with her husband, two children, and about a million chickens and ducks. You can follow Maat on Facebook here and Instagram here.