Need to reconnect with your husband? It happens to us all.
Days at home become routine, and as we plod through our day-to-day, we start to neglect those smaller parts of our relationships until the edges become frayed. It becomes necessary to refresh ourselves, and a great way to do that is to reconnect with your husband.
Nothing breathes new life into your soul like a little romance, right? Strengthening your relationship means strengthening yourself.
Most of these 30+ date ideas are free, and you can start using them today
(Just FYI, I’ve put together a bonus guide at the end of the post with even more detailed ideas):
1. Get nostalgic together. Remember something funny or wonderful about your past relationship and talk about it together.
2. Spend time looking into each other’s eyes without saying anything. I’m not going to lie, my husband and I could never pull this off without getting the giggles, but either way, it’s building intimacy.
3. Take a shower together. Nothing creates intimacy like being naked. Put those kids to bed, and start this ritual. It’s easier to implement than you think.
4. Tell him how much you appreciate him.Everyone likes to hear something positive about themselves. Your husband included. People feel loved when they hear positive things from their significant other.
5. Tell him you love him. Sometimes we just don’t say it enough. It’s important to just say it, and mean it.
6. Have a whispered conversation. I’m pretty sure we couldn’t get through this without giggling also, but laughing together makes intimacy, which is the overall point.
7. Ask him to tell you a wonderful memory from his childhood. You didn’t know him then, and you might learn something new. Reconnect with your husband by learning about his childhood.
8. Tell him he looks sexy in that shirt. I do this all the time, but I’m honest and only say it when I mean it. I’ve noticed him wearing that shirt again and again, showing he genuinely appreciated the compliment.
9. Compliment him on a task he completed well. When he fixes the sink, changes the oil, or whatever, compliment him, and thank him.
10. Tell him how he makes you a better person. And mean it.
11. If you feel stressed about something, tell him. If he knows why you’re stressed, it can decrease his stress, instead of just being testy.
12. Learn something new together. Interested in learning to brew beer, or making your favorite cheese? Going outside your comfort zone will break down barriers and having to work together will create a new connection.
13. Spend a night together by the fireplace. This is a great one if you want to relax together and just talk. There’s something about the coziness of a fireplace that really opens you up.
14. Make a recipe you’ve never tried and try it together. There’s nothing that will make you more open to your husband than trying something new. You might hear an opinion that will surprise you.
15. Garden together. Doing a physical activity together that’s productive can increase your communication. Getting dirty and back to the earth can release stress too!
16. Plan a picnic. Instead of eating inside, how about outside? Sunshine and fresh air does wonders. You can watch life go by, and comment together on what passes.
17. Explore part of your property you don’t regularly visit. We have a pond at the outer edge of the homestead that we don’t visit too often. Every now and again we like to see how it has changed with the season. Comparing with him how it looked last season creates interesting conversation between us.
19. Star gaze. Even if it’s cold, star gazing is an intimate act. Bring a blanket, sit outside, and spend some time together looking at the heavens.
20. Build a blanket fort and spend the night there. My husband’s done this on his own, and when you have 2 people in a small cozy space, it’s even better.
21. Get competitive. My husband and I like to see who can draw in the first buyer for a truck. Healthy competition strengthens us, and gives us something to laugh about. Since laughter is the best way to reconnect with your husband, we try to laugh as much as possible.
22, Serenade each other. Okay, this one seems dorky, but it works. Trust me. I told my husband once I like how he sings while we’re driving, and now he does it all the time. It’s goofy, but it’s also nice.
23. Do daily tasks together. Who doesn’t like a little bit of help? You’ll see each other in a new way, and have more time to spend together.
24. Watch wildlife together. It’s easy to get excited when you see a wild critter you haven’t seen before in your front yard. Spend time sitting together and watching the birds play. Use nature to reconnect with your husband.
25. Make a special dessert. Ask him what dessert he likes the best, then make it for him. You might be surprised at the answer, and knowing that you’re thinking of him will increase your bond.
26. Make breakfast for him, and surprise him with it in bed. I do this as a matter of practicality (I like eating in bed, and it’s easier to just bring 2 plates), but he’s still pleasantly surprised when I do it. If you want to reconnect with your husband, try surprising him with breakfast in bed, even if it’s something small.
27. Read a book to your child together, switching off pages. This one will give you the warm-fuzzies and reconnect you as a family.
28. Have something loving written inside a pizza box when you’re having pizza delivered. My husband did this once. If you don’t know, you can sometimes ask the pizza restaurant to write something on the inside of the lid of a pizza box. My husband had them write “I love you”. It was sweet and funny at the same time. To reconnect with your husband, try something similar and surprise him.
29. Write a poem and send it to him. He might not understand what you’re saying, but he will understand you took time out of your day to think of him. Sharing your thoughts is a great way to reconnect with your husband.
30. Give an impromptu massage. Who doesn’t love a massage? He’ll know you’re thinking of him, and he’ll feel relaxed at the same time.
31. Get into a tickle fight. Just like an impromptu massage, a tickle fight will create intimacy, and you’ll laugh together.
32. Make up a game and play it together with your kids. Try to reconnect with your husband by reminding him how being a family is a wonderful thing by spending time playing games with your kids.
33. Play the “wishbone” game. Next time you roast a chicken, have him grab the other end of the wishbone. Pull and see who wins. It’s a fun break in your day.
The recurring theme throughout these ideas are laughter. Build a bond and reconnect with your husband by laughing and sharing fun times, and you’ll see your relationship develop in new ways.
Want 20+ more ways to reconnect with your husband?
Until next time!
Maat van Uitert is a backyard chicken and sustainable living expert. She is also the author of Chickens: Naturally Raising A Sustainable Flock, which was a best seller in it’s Amazon category. Maat has been featured on NBC, CBS, AOL Finance, Community Chickens, the Huffington Post, Chickens magazine, Backyard Poultry, and Countryside Magazine. She lives on her farm in Southeast Missouri with her husband, two children, and about a million chickens and ducks. You can follow Maat on Facebook here and Instagram here.