When one hears the name “Jersey Giant,” it might be understandable to envision a massive giant tromping and stomping over the hills. Luckily for poultry lovers, these robust fowl are nothing at all like immense monsters upsetting livestock and unearthing trees.
They are, however, the winner of the “biggest chicken breed.” Jersey Giant roosters can grow to a massive 15 lbs and reach the stately heights of up to 26 inches. Their female counterparts can reach up to 11 pounds and as tall as 20 inches. These are some BIG birds!
They are quite colorful, too, with their Black, Blue, and White variants being recognized by the American Poultry Association. A fourth color – Splash – is not recognized by the APA because it is a genetic quirk of a color that can sometimes result from breeding two Blues. Jersey’s are best as an addition to homes looking for an excellent show breed, some amazing broilers, or hens that lay between 150 and 200 brown eggs per year.
To find some, one need only check out the links below, and with a credit card at your side, it won’t be long before these immense birds are growing in your own coops and runs!
Below are some of the best hatcheries to buy Jersey Giant chickens so you can get started with raising your backyard flock of these behemoths today.
What is the Jersey Giant?
You can read more about large egg laying chickens here, but the most important thing to know about Jersey Giant chickens is that if you are looking for a chicken breed that’s great for egg production as well as serving as a solid meat bird, this is the one.
Jersey Giant chickens are perfect free range birds, offering decent egg production without compromising on egg size or meat.
Ready to start raising Jersey Giants? Pick up some chick starter here and check out the list of the best hatcheries to buy Jersey Giant chicks.
10 Best Hatcheries to Buy Jersey Giant Chickens
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Chicken Price: $3.24
Meyer Hatchery is based in Polk, Ohio, and boasts itself as the “premier Poultry Source.” Priding itself on customer service and availability, Meyer Hatchery provides a variety of chicken breeds to meet customer demands for color and diversity. They welcome mixing and matching of breeds of the same poultry type to meet minimum order quantity requirements for safe shipping. To help with orders, they have a calendar of hatchings.
Meyer has a variety of means of communication, including multiple phone numbers, fax, and email. They also run a blog that covers everything from breeds to plant pairing with chickens, feed, cooking recipes, fowl entertainment, and survival tips. Meyer offers Black Jersey Giant Chickens.
FYI – looking for egg-cellent chicken feed? Have a look at our layer feed for sale here.
- Website is up-to-date in real time.
- Accepts checks and credit cards.
- Guarantees gender of chicks either through refund or store credit.
- Optional Marek’s vaccination.
- Member of the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP), and provide NPIP VS Form 9-3 free of charge.
- Offer orders of over 100 chicks.
- Limited store hours that change with the season.
- Limited availability.
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Chicken Price: $3.05
Cackle Hatchery proudly boasts that they have been hatching and shipping since 1936. A third-generation hatchery based in Missouri, their mission is to provide customers with quality poultry for showing, meat, enjoyment, and eggs. They ship throughout the USA, including Alaska, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii. They offer nearly 200 different types of chickens at all stages.
Cackle also offers many other kinds of poultry including ducks, water fowl, game birds, turkeys, and other fowl. They are also a good source for supplies and books. Cackle Hatchery offers both Black and White Jersey Giant Chickens.
- Discounts if you buy male chicks.
- Vaccinations available.
- Only need 3 birds to ship (or just one for male birds).
- Limited availability (February through July).
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Chicken Price: $3.21
Hoover’s Hatchery supplies many farm and garden supply stores in the United States with their chicks, making them a smart choice if you want to skip the middleman and order from the hatchery directly.
Plus, Hoover’s offers free shipping on practically everything you order. You’ll have to buy at least 15 chicks; so Hoover’s might not be the best option if you live in a city with chicken restrictions. However, as long as you’re willing to buy in bulk, it’s a smart choice. You can even mix and match your order by adding other birds of other chicken breeds along with poultry species like pheasants, turkeys, guineas, ducks, and more.
Another benefit of ordering from Hoover’s Hatchery? Despite the fact that this hatchery is located in Iowa, not necessarily a warm-weather state, it hatches chicks all throughout the year – a must-know feature if you plan on buying chicks around Christmastime. Hoover’s Hatchery offers only Black Jersey Giant Chickens.
- Excellent guarantee and refund policy in case of shipping problems.
- Hatches chicks during the winter – one of the few hatcheries to do so.
- Sells other kinds of poultry too.
- Large minimum order quantity.
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Chicken Price: $3.90
Murray McMurray started his chicken business in 1917. As a banker, he sold his chicks to locals through the bank and by 1919, he had developed his own stock of chickens. During the Great Depression, he devoted himself to chickens full time. Since then, Murray McMurray Hatchery has developed into one of the largest chick hatcheries in the country. They sell more than just chickens, with ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys, other fowl and game birds all in the catalogue.
Sexed male chicks tend to be the cheapest, meaning you can get some serious savings if you’re planning on raising these birds primarily for meat. You can also buy pullets or mix and match your order with chicks of other heritage chicken breeds, too. McMurray’s Hatchery offers both Black and White Jersey Giants.
- Males are extremely inexpensive
- Bulk discounts available
- Minimum order of six birds at a time
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Chicken Price: $3.78
Located in Bancroft, IA, Welp Hatchery was founded way back in 1929 by Joseph H. Welp. While their specialty is Cornish Rock Broilers, they have diversified to include a wide range of chicken breeds. To simplify their orders, they have a catalogue available for viewing or downloading. From their shipping points in Iowa, New Mexico, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, this hatchery truly has a wide reach. They offer both Black and Blue Jersey Giants
- Can choose the breeding date on the product page.
- Marek’s immunization is a one-click process.
- Minimum orders of 5.
- Wintertime availability for select breeds (including Blue Jersey Giants!)
- Maximum orders of 25.
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Chicken Price: $3.95
Chickens for Backyards is an online poultry store that ships orders from Phillipsburg, MO. It sells over 100 breeds of day-old chicks, ducks, geese, turkeys, and guineas with orders as low as three fowl. They have a mix and match option for all breeds, which can be shipped all in the same order.
Shipping schedules run from February through October. On their website, they offer a comprehensive FAQ page and Chick Care information. Chickens for Backyards offers only Black Jersey Giants.
- Orders can be cancelled up to 24 hours before shipping.
- Free shipping on supplies.
- Comprehensive FAQ that covers a range of questions from care, feed, shipping, sexing, local laws relating to chicken farming, and terms.
- Offer a 90% sexing guarantee, and will refund 90% of the purchase price once the 90% guarantee is surpassed.
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Chicken Price: $4.82
As a family-owned business, Purely Poultry has some of the best customer service around. They pride themselves on their knowledge of their products, selection, and how-to details related to everything they offer, including ducks, chickens, geese, and lots of other birds!
Located in Durand, WI, they guarantee live birds with every order, which is a good promise, indeed! Jersey Giants are hatched from February through October. Purely Poultry offers both Black and White Jersey Giant Chickens.
- Each order backed by live arrival guarantee.
- Small order minimum on chicks.
- Other kinds of poultry offered, too.
- Not a huge advantage to buying multiple chicks – discounts are minimal.
Average Straight-Run Jersey Chicken Price: $3.25
My Pet Chicken got started in 2005 by Traci Torres and her husband, Derek Sasaki, two novices to the chicken world who had a dream to help other novices in their farmers’ goals. To do this, the put free how-to information on the web and offered some unique products and services.
The website launched in 2005 and in 2006, their flock had grown to the point to where they started offering chicks for sale from their headquarters in Monroe, CT. The site has been mentioned in another of publications, and serves tens of millions of page views per year. Black Jersey Giants can be purchased only.
- Offers Marek’s vaccinations on all standard chicks at the click of a button.
- Consistent hours of operation.
- A good source for questions about ordering chickens, chicken care, and about raising chickens.
- Full refund for any bird that has been incorrectly sexed.
- Does not have a storefront.
- Sexed female Day-olds cost an additional $20.00
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Price: $3.99
Nestled in the hills outside of Los Angeles, California Hatchery is making a name for themselves as an online resource for chickens, ducks, and goslings. They are proud to offer day-old ducklings nearly every day of the year! This is great for their backyard duck enthusiasts. While availability of their chickens isn’t quite as high as their ducks, they do ensure that their chicks can be shipped anywhere in the USA, which is certainly a plus for chicken enthusiasts! California Hatchery offers Black Jersey Giant Chickens.
- Low minimum shipping numbers which can be mixed and matched.
- Safe arrival guarantee for replacement or reimbursement.
- Reasonable shipping costs.
- Optional Marek’s vaccination is quite expensive.
- Service fee on any cancellations shorter than a fortnight.
Average Straight-Run Jersey Giant Chicken Price: $4.20
Townline Hatchery, out of Zeeland, MI, prides itself on its hands-on approach that its entire experienced staff observes. In fact, they have an entire series of how to raise birds! Their FAQ section is already quite comprehensive, and they encourage customers to contact them with any questions not already covered. They provide customers with 26 different breed of bird.
The only disadvantage to ordering from Townline is that you’ll have to buy in bulk. The hatchery has a minimum order of fifteen chicks, which can be a challenge if you live in a city that has restrictions on how many birds you can raise (most towns cap it at six hens). However, if you’re planning on shopping for a large flock anyway, Townline is the way to go – the hatchery offers a discount of several dollars per bird when you buy more than 100 chicks. Townline Hatchery has Black Jersey Giant Chickens available.
- Superior customer service.
- Excellent reputation as one of the longest-standing hatcheries.
- Great for buying chicks in large quantities.
- Not many hatching dates available for fall, winter, or early spring shipping.
- Comparatively expensive.
- Top 10 Largest Chicken Breeds That Are Also Great Pets
- 10 Best Hatcheries to Buy Rare Ayam Cemani Chicks
- 10 Best Hatcheries to Buy Silkie Chickens
- Best Hatcheries to Buy Delaware Chickens
Maat van Uitert is a backyard chicken and sustainable living expert. She is also the author of Chickens: Naturally Raising A Sustainable Flock, which was a best seller in it’s Amazon category. Maat has been featured on NBC, CBS, AOL Finance, Community Chickens, the Huffington Post, Chickens magazine, Backyard Poultry, and Countryside Magazine. She lives on her farm in Southeast Missouri with her husband, two children, and about a million chickens and ducks. You can follow Maat on Facebook here and Instagram here.