- Yes, chickens can eat strawberries
- For chicks, make sure the strawberries are very ripe and soft.
- Make sure to squash the berries or chop them very finely
- This shouldn’t replace regular chick starter! It’s a treat only
- Stay away from jams, jellies, or anything with preservatives
- If you buy berries from the store, wash them very well.
- Consider buying berries from local sources that don’t use pesticides.
Maat van Uitert is a backyard chicken and sustainable living expert. She is also the author of Chickens: Naturally Raising A Sustainable Flock, which was a best seller in it’s Amazon category. Maat has been featured on NBC, CBS, AOL Finance, Community Chickens, the Huffington Post, Chickens magazine, Backyard Poultry, and Countryside Magazine. She lives on her farm in Southeast Missouri with her husband, two children, and about a million chickens and ducks. You can follow Maat on Facebook here and Instagram here.