Congratulations! You’ve found the best one-stop shopping guide for Australorp chickens!
Australorp Chickens (especially the black variant) are gaining popularity because they’re excellent layers. Originating in Australia, their parent stock is Orpingtons. The name “Australorp” is a mixture of “Australia” and “Orpington.” These birds are so popular because of their excellence in dual purpose lives: males make excellent broilers weighing in at up to 10 pounds. The hens are excellent layers, with an average production run of about 300 eggs per year.
Now that we’ve given a rough breakdown on why you might want to add these birds to your home coops, it’s time to consider where you can get these wonderful birds!
1.Cackle Hatchery (hyperlink name of hatchery to https://www.cacklehatchery.com/black-australorp.html)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $2.85
Cackle Hatchery proudly boasts that they have been hatching and shipping since 1936. A third-generation hatchery based in Missouri, their mission is to provide customers with quality poultry for showing, meat, enjoyment, and eggs. They ship throughout the USA, including Alaska, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii. They offer nearly 200 different types of chickens at all stages.
Cackle also offers many other kinds of poultry including ducks, water fowl, game birds, turkeys, and other fowl. They are also a good source for supplies and book.
- Discounts if you buy male chicks
- Vaccinations available
- Only need 3 birds to ship (or just one for male birds)
- Limited availability (February through September)
- Sold as baby chicks only.
2. Meyer Hatchery ((hyperlink name of hatchery to https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=BLAS)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $3.04
Meyer Hatchery is based in Polk, Ohio, and boasts itself as the “premier Poultry Source.” Priding itself on customer service and availability, Meyer Hatchery provides a variety of chicken breeds to meet customer demands for color and diversity. They welcome mixing and matching of breeds of the same poultry type to meet minimum order requirement for safe shipping. To help with orders, they have a calendar of hatchings.
Meyer has a variety of means of communication, including multiple phone numbers, fax, and email. They also run a blog that covers everything from breeds to plant pairing with chickens, feed, cooking recipes, fowl entertainment, and survival tips.
- Website is up-to-date in real time.
- Accepts checks and credit cards
- Guarantees gender of chicks either through refund or store credit.
- Optional vaccination.
- Member of the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP), and provide NPIP VS Form 9-3 free of charge.
- Offer orders of over 100 chicks.
- Limited store hours that change with the season.
3. Chickens for Backyards: (hyperlink name of hatchery to https://www.chickensforbackyards.com/product/black-australorp/)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $3.95
Chickens for Backyards is an online poultry store that ships orders from Phillipsburg, MO. It sells over 100 breeds of day-old chicks, ducks, geese, turkeys, and guineas with orders as low as three fowl. They have a mix and match option for all breeds, which can be shipped all in the same order.
Shipping schedules run from February through October. On their website, they offer a comprehensive FAQ page and Chick Care information. On the Australorp product page, there is a breakdown of the bird and information on the live chick guarantee.
- Orders can be cancelled up to 24 hours before shipping.
- Free shipping on supplies.
- Comprehensive FAQ that covers a range of questions from care, feed, shipping, sexing, local laws relating to chicken farming, and terms.
- Offer a 90% sexing guarantee, and will refund 90% of the purchase price once the 90% guarantee is surpassed.
4. My Pet Chicken: (hyperlink name of hatchery to https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chicks/Australorp-p234.aspx)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $3.05
My Pet Chicken got started in 2005 by Traci Torres and her husband, Derek Sasaki, two novices to the chicken world who had a dream to help other novices in their farmers’ goals. To do this, the put free how-to information on the web and offered some unique products and services.
The website launched in 2005 and in 2006, their flock had grown to the point to where they started offering chicks for sale from their headquarters in Monroe, CT. The site has been mentioned in another of publications, and serves tens of millions of page views per year.
- Offers Marek’s vaccinations on all standard chicks at the click of a button.
- Consistent hours of operation.
- A good source for questions about ordering chickens, chicken care, and about raising chickens.
- Full refund for any bird that has been incorrectly sexed.
- Limited availability.
- Does not have a storefront
5. Murray McMurray Hatchery: (hyperlink name to https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/black_australorps.html)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $3.33
Murray McMurray started his chicken business in 1917. As a banker, he sold his chicks to locals through the bank and by 1919, he had developed his own stock of chickens. During the Great Depression, he devoted himself to chickens full time. Since then, Murray McMurray Hatchery has developed into one of the largest chick hatcheries in the country. They sell more than just chickens, with ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys, other fowl and game birds all in the catalogue.
Sexed male chicks tend to be the cheapest, meaning you can get some serious savings if you’re planning on raising these birds primarily for meat. You can also buy pullets or mix and match your order with chicks of other breeds, too.
- Males are extremely inexpensive
- Bulk discounts available
- Excellent breed availability
- Minimum order of six birds at a time
6. Purely Poultry: (hyperlink name to https://www.purelypoultry.com/black-australorp-chickens-p-356.html)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $3.62
As a family-owned business, Purely Poultry has some of the best customer service around. They pride themselves on their knowledge of their products, selection, and how-to details related to everything they offer, including ducks, chickens, geese, and lots of other birds!
Located in Durand, WI, they guarantee live birds with every order, which is a good promise, indeed!
- Each order backed by live arrival guarantee
- Small order minimum on chicks
- Other kinds of poultry offered, too
- Not a huge advantage to buying multiple chicks – discounts are minimal
7. Hoover’s Hatchery: (hyperlink name to https://hoovershatchery.com/BlackAustralorp.html)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $3.36
Another established brand if you’re looking for chicks is Hoover’s Hatchery. Hoover’s supplies many farm and garden supply stores in the United States with their chicks, making them a smart choice if you want to skip the middleman and order from the hatchery directly.
Plus, Hoover’s offers free shipping on practically everything you order. You’ll have to buy at least 15 chicks; so Hoover’s might not be the best option if you live in a city with chicken restrictions. However, as long as you’re willing to buy in bulk, it’s a smart choice. You can even mix and match your order by adding other birds of other chicken breeds along with poultry species like pheasants, turkeys, guineas, ducks, and more.
Another benefit of ordering from Hoover’s Hatchery? Despite the fact that this hatchery is located in Iowa, not necessarily a warm-weather state, it hatches chicks all throughout the year – a must-know feature if you plan on buying chicks around Christmastime.
- Excellent guarantee and refund policy in case of shipping problems
- Hatches chicks during the winter, one of the few hatcheries to do so
- Sells other kinds of poultry too
- Large minimum order
8. Townline Hatchery: (hyperlink name to https://townlinehatchery.com/product/black-australorp/)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $4.20
Townline Hatchery, out of Zeeland, MI, prides itself on its hands-on approach that its entire experienced staff observes. In fact, they have an entire series of how to raise birds! Their FAQ section is already quite comprehensive, and they encourage customers to contact them with any questions not already covered. They provide customers with 26 different breed of bird.
The only disadvantage to ordering from Townline is that you’ll have to buy in bulk. The hatchery has a minimum order of fifteen chicks, which can be a challenge if you live in a city that has restrictions on how many birds you can raise (most towns cap it at six hens). However, if you’re planning on shopping for a large flock anyway, Townline is the way to go – the hatchery offers a discount of several dollars per bird when you buy more than 100 chicks.
- Superior customer service
- Excellent reputation as one of the longest-standing hatcheries
- Great for buying chicks in large quantities
- Not many hatching dates available for fall, winter, or early spring shipping
- Comparatively expensive
9. Valley Farms Hatchery: (hyperlink name to https://www.valleyfarmshatchery.com/online-store/Black-Australorp-Chicks-p112829153)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $2.45
Valley Farms Hatchery is located in Alabama and is one of the few large commercial chick hatcheries located in the southern United States. If you live in the south, that’s one good reason to give Valley Farms a try – you won’t have to ship your new Australorp chickens long distances, which can cut down dramatically on shipping stress.
You can buy fertile hatching eggs along with Australorp chicks from this hatchery. You’ll find some of the lowest price, here, too, with a minimum order of just three chicks. If you buy males, interestingly, the order minimum is just one bird. Buying in bulk poses several advantages though, especially if you can buy more than 50 birds at once – you’ll get significant savings.
- Each order is backed by a 100% live delivery guarantee, no matter where you live
- One chick minimum order if you’re buying males
- Optional Marek’s vaccination
- Limited shipping dates
10. Stromberg’s Hatchery: (hyperlink name to https://www.strombergschickens.com/product/black-australorp-chicks)
Average Straight-Run Australorp Chicken Price: $3.99
Stromberg’s is another well-known chick hatchery and also sells chicken raising supplies. You’ll find all kinds of gear at Stromberg’s, including coops, coop building supplies, wild birdhouses, feeders, waterers, and more.
You can find all kinds of chicken breeds when you shop with Stromberg’s, including New Hampshire Reds, Orpingtons, White Leghorns, and of course, black sex links! This company offers substantial discounts when you order large batches of birds – in fact, you’ll pay more than $2 less per bird when you order 100 or more chicks. There are similar (though smaller) discounts available for tinier batches, too.
Plus, if you time your order right, you can even get free shipping, helping to save you even more money. Just expect to buy at least five chicks at once when you order.
- Hatching eggs available
- One of the least expensive hatcheries to buy chicks from
- All kinds of chicken breeds available for sale
- They offer Blue Ausatralorp chicks! (hyperlink “Blue Australorp Chicks” to https://www.strombergschickens.com/product/blue-australorp-chicks)
- Shipping dates are not estimated at the time of payment
Maat van Uitert is a backyard chicken and sustainable living expert. She is also the author of Chickens: Naturally Raising A Sustainable Flock, which was a best seller in it’s Amazon category. Maat has been featured on NBC, CBS, AOL Finance, Community Chickens, the Huffington Post, Chickens magazine, Backyard Poultry, and Countryside Magazine. She lives on her farm in Southeast Missouri with her husband, two children, and about a million chickens and ducks. You can follow Maat on Facebook here and Instagram here.