- Only you can decide if your chicks should free range
- I don’t recommend it because they’re little, and are more likely to get eaten
- I don’t recommend letting them free range for their entire diet.
- If you do want them to go outside, it’s best if they’re at least partially feathered (summer) or fully feathered (winter).
- Still lock your chickens up at night so they don’t get attacked.
Maat van Uitert is a backyard chicken and sustainable living expert. She is also the author of Chickens: Naturally Raising A Sustainable Flock, which was a best seller in it’s Amazon category. Maat has been featured on NBC, CBS, AOL Finance, Community Chickens, the Huffington Post, Chickens magazine, Backyard Poultry, and Countryside Magazine. She lives on her farm in Southeast Missouri with her husband, two children, and about a million chickens and ducks. You can follow Maat on Facebook here and Instagram here.